Sunday, August 16, 2015

Nikolayevsk-on-Amur city (FDC).

 
Nikolayevsk-on-Amur (Nikolayevsk till 1926) is a city of regional subordination and a center of Nikolayev region of Khabarovsk Krai of the Russian Federation. 
It was founded as a military administrative settlement (Nikolaevskiy fasting) by Admiral Gennady Nevelskoy, a Russian navigator. The city acquired a great economic and political importance on a pacific coast in a short time due to its location. A port of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky was moved to Nikolayevsk-on-Amur in 1855, and in 1856, during the formation of the Primorsky region, has become a regional center. It was the center of the Primorsky region (composed of Kamchatka and Sakhalin) until 1880.
In 1926 the city was renamed in Nikolayevsk-on-Amur.
Nowadays Nikolaevsk-on-Amur is an industrial and cultural center of the Northern Amur Region. The leading industries are maintenance of fishing industry, ship repair, enterprises of food industry.
The main attractions of the city are an obelisk and a monument to Gennady Nevelskoy, the founder of the city, crafts specialized schools.
The postage stamp depicts a monument to Admiral Gennady Nevelskoy with city view on the background. 

Additionally, FSUE PTC "Marka" will manufacture a first day cover and a special postmark for Moscow and Nikolayevsk-on-Amur inside.

No comments: